In our Taste of the Nation survey, the UK voted strawberry as its top summer flavour. Which got us thinking, what are the best ways to enjoy strawberries? (It’s been a quiet week, okay!)
We’ve whittled down punnets of ideas to get THE 6 BEST WAYS TO ENJOY STRAWBERRY…
Strawberries and cream
The classic. Best enjoyed with a pitcher of Pimm’s, loafing on Henman Hill, waving at yourself on that massive telly. But it wasn’t Wimbledon that invented this summer staple. Or even the BBC. That honour goes to Henry VIII’s chef, who had the brainwave of mixing strawberries (an upper class favourite) with common-fare cream. To make your own strawberries and cream:
1) Take a bowl of strawberries
2) Pour on the cream
3) Pump a fist (Tim Henman style) because that’s you done
Well, actually, scientists say you should eat your strawberries in under 2 minutes and 50 seconds for optimum taste. (Usually isn’t a problem for us.) Boffins also found the perfect strawberry-to-cream ratio is 70:30 – so half a tablespoon of cream per strawberry. Cheers guys.
With so much goodness in the humble strawberry, sometimes you have to add a bit of naughtiness. Rum and sugar should about do it. The sweetness of strawberries and the kick of lime make this cocktail perfect for summer. To make:
1) Place 4 strawberries and 2 tsps of white sugar in a cocktail shaker
2) Add 35ml of white rum, 25ml of lime juice and 1 tbsp of strawberry liqueur
3) Muddle with the end of a wooden spoon
5) D’oh! We forgot to say, put the top back on the cocktail shaker
6) Go on, shake a bit more
To finish, strain into a Martini glass and garnish with half a strawberry.
Legend goes, an Etonian invented this pudding when he dropped his Pavlova on the floor. Rather than let it go to waste, his supper guests dared each other to eat it. They scooped the remains into glasses and the Eton Mess was born. Hooray! To make:
1) Blend 250g strawberries in a blender
2) Chop up another 250g of strawberries
3) Crush 3 ready-made meringues in your hands
4) Whip 400ml of double cream until stiff peaks form, then fold in the strawberry purée, crushed meringue and chopped strawberries
5) Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into cold wine glasses
To finish, garnish with a full strawberry and a sprig of mint.
You won’t be surprised to hear that cake and cheese also scored high in our taste survey. So why not combine all three. Yea, we’re talking Strawberry. Cheese. Cake. To make this flux capacitor of heavenly flavours:
1) Butter and line a tin with baking parchment
2) Crush 250g digestive biscuits into a bowl and pour in 100g melted butter
3) Tip the crumbs into the tin and press down to create an even layer
4) Leave in fridge for one hour to set
Still with us? Good stuff.
5) Next, place 600g soft cheese, 100g icing sugar and vanilla seeds in a bowl
6) Tip in 300ml double cream and blend with an electric mixer until smooth
7) Now spoon the mixture onto the biscuit base and smooth out with spatula
Leave to set in the fridge overnight.
9) Next day, blend 200g (half a punnet) strawberries in a blender with 25g icing sugar and 1 tsp water then sieve
10) Place 200g strawberries (rest of the punnet) onto the cake, then pour over the purée
Okay, we know, that’s quite a lot of effort. If you can’t be arsed, you could always make…
Strawberries dipped in chocolate!
Damn right, you heard us. Strawberries AND chocolate. There must be some things out there that aren’t better with chocolate. We can’t think of any right now, but strawberries definitely isn’t one. To make:
1) Wash and dry your strawberries
2) Melt your chocolate of choice in a saucepan over a medium heat
3) Dip the strawberries in the chocolate
And bam! That’s you finished. You can let the chocolate set by leaving the strawberries on a baking sheet and transfer to the fridge. Or you can simply transfer the warm chocolate-covered strawberries directly into your open mouth.
blu Strawberry Mint E-Liquid
Bet you didn’t see that one coming! We couldn’t complete this list without adding our very own Strawberry Mint e-liquid now, could we? Enjoy the fruity and fresh smack of strawberry on the inhale. A sweet and clean taste as the vapour fills your mouth. Then the fresh zing of mint on the exhale.
Sound good? Buy some delicious blu Strawberry e-liquid.