The only silly question is the one you don’t ask. And when you’re confronted with new technology like e-cigarettes, and vapers who talk their own language, it can be daunting for anyone.
With e-cigs and vaping, there are no silly questions. So, with that in mind, we thought we’d start with the simplest, and perhaps most important question of all – ‘how do I vape?’
First, a bit about e-cigs
Before we get down to tooting, let’s look inside an e-cigarette. There’s a myth that e-cigs are really complicated. Actually, it’s pretty simple. E-cigarettes heat liquid into vapour. That’s it.You inhale vapour just like cigarette smoke. And it FEELS like a cigarette. You get the sensation of inhaling smoke, the throat hit smokers love and that rush of nicotine. The main difference is e-cig vapour contains no tobacco-smoke or smell. And because nothing actually burns, there’s no tar either. So, it’ll feel cleaner than smoking.
The liquid that e-cigarettes heat up contains US pharmaceutical grade (USP) nicotine. Or good brands like blu do, because it’s the highest grade available. Quality e-liquids also contain USP-grade propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycol (VG) or a mix of the two. They sound scary, we know, but you’ll find these additives in many popular foods and asthma inhalers.
The PG/VG base liquid holds the nicotine and flavourings – and helps them vaporise. PG – which you’ll find in margarine, condiments and ice cream – creates throat hit. VG – found in cheese, yogurt and sweetcorn – produces the huge, smoke-like plumes of vapour you see from ‘cloud chasers’.
Vaping an e-cigarette
How you vape depends on which type of e-cigarette or vaporizer you choose. If you go for a ‘cig-a-like’ e-cigarette like the ones you get with a blu Starter Kit, here’s how it works.
You vape like you smoke a cigarette. Pretty simple. Each time you puff, a sensor inside the e-cig turns on the battery which heats up the heaty-bit (technical term) and turns liquid into vapour. You inhale this vapour just like cigarette smoke.
If you vape blu, here are few tips to get the most from your e-cig.
1) Take off the safety hygiene sticker first. (You’d be surprised how many calls we get about that.)
2) When you start to vape, hold your e-cig at a slight downward angle and take a couple of short, quick puffs without inhaling. (Think back to the bike sheds.) This helps coat the Cartridge Refill with liquid, so you get more vapour and flavour.
3) Take 1-3 second puffs. Anything more or less and won’t enjoy as much vapour or flavour.
If you notice less flavour – or vapour – coming from your e-cig, it’ll be time to charge your battery and / or swap flavours.
Vaping a vaporiser
Vaping on a vaporiser (like the blu Pro Kit) is a little bit different. When you vape, you push a button on the battery as you puff. This is sometimes called ‘manual’.
So, instead of cig-a-like e-cig sensors, pushing the vaporiser button turns on the battery which heats up the coil in the clearomiser (the heaty-bit) to turn liquid into vapour.
Again, if you notice less flavour – or vapour – coming from your vaporiser, it’ll be time to charge your battery and / or refill with e-liquid.
Because e-cigarettes and vaporizers don’t burn down like cigarettes, there’s not an obvious time to stop vaping. In fact, just one blu Cartridge Refill will last you 300 puffs or 30 cigarettes – which is quite a lot to vape in one go! Here are a few tips to help you know when to take a vape break.
1) Keep to your smoking routine. If you’re used to sneaking out for fag break, try sticking to the same amount of time. You can even go out with your smoke-break buddies. (Just watch out for second-hand smoke.)
2) Choose your nicotine strength wisely. If you find yourself vaping more than you would smoke, try a lower nicotine strength for an “all-day vape”.
3) Time it. Whether it’s on your fancy smartwatch, a Micky Goldmill-style stopwatch or a Casio, try keeping your vape to around the same time it takes to smoke a cigarette.
Truth is, you’ll soon find your own vaping rhythm, whether that’s sticking to your familiar smoking regime, vaping all-day or vaping less. And remember, even though brands like blu make realistic tobacco flavoured e-liquids, you’ve got a new world of flavours to explore. So, what are you waiting for?